I Fish. I Care. I Vote
Goal: To have political parties commit to policies that will restore New Zealand’s inshore fisheries to abundant levels. Objective: Political parties adopt and implement the five policy planks outlined in the LegaSea Fisheries Manifesto.
What do we stand for?Our Fisheries Manifesto outlines the reasons we stand for the following policies:
- Establish a Royal Commission of Inquiry into fisheries management and the Quota Management System.
- Amend the Fisheries Act 1996 to include an Allocation Principle.
- Remove industrial fishing methods such as trawling, seining and dredging from the inshore zone.
- Establish a separate, well-resourced Ministry of Fisheries.
- Amend section 13 of the Fisheries Act to deliver a minimum biomass target of 50%, in line with international best practice.
We have every right to expect more abundant fisheries and a healthier marine environment and our MPs are the people who can deliver these outcomes. Every one of us needs to encourage our family, friends, neighbours and colleagues to get involved. Ultimately, it’s up to us. If we want to be successful and pass on a legacy of more abundant fisheries to the next generation we need to start at this election.
What you can do:
- Stay informed of developments as they occur – sign up to LegaSea for regular updates.
- Help us spread the message – donate to LegaSea.
- Read the party policies.
- Tell your MP I Fish. I Care. I Vote – call, visit or email your MP.
- Attend a public meeting and tell people fisheries are important.
- Encourage the people in your life to sign up to LegaSea.
- Make an informed choice on September 23rd.